Molly Ellrodt
809
Ms. Robbins
MERCUTIO
I think Mercutio is one of the most interesting characters in this book. Mercutio is one of Romeo's best friends and is also the cousin of Prince Escalus, the prince of Verona and Prince Paris. I find it interesting how Mercutio is part of a family of power, cousin of Prince Escalus and Paris, but he is so different from them. He is a flamboyant, violent, and very outspoken with a big personality. Mercutio gets into street fights while his own cousin threatened to kill Montagues and Capulets if they ever disturbed the streets of Verona again. Mercutio sneaks into Capulet parties while his cousin is leading the city of Verona. I find it so interesting how they can be so different but still be so close.
While looking at it from a different point of view, I actually do understand why Mercutio is so different. I think that because Mercutio is part of this family that is well known and respected, he doesn't want to be known as the guy who is related to Prince of Verona. Mercutio wants to be his own person. He doesn't want to follow in the footsteps of his family. He wants to be an individual, not another rich royal man.
Overall, I find that, even though he dies pretty quickly in the story, Mercutio is one of the most important characters to look at and the one of the most interesting too. Maybe next time we write a blog post about a character I will chose another supporting character to focus and zoom in on. I find the supporting characters slightly more interesting at times, than the main characters. Sometimes a supporting character has so much you can unpack but you just don't know it because you are paying attention to the main characters while reading.
Overall, I find that, even though he dies pretty quickly in the story, Mercutio is one of the most important characters to look at and the one of the most interesting too. Maybe next time we write a blog post about a character I will chose another supporting character to focus and zoom in on. I find the supporting characters slightly more interesting at times, than the main characters. Sometimes a supporting character has so much you can unpack but you just don't know it because you are paying attention to the main characters while reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment