Monday, February 25, 2013

Non Fiction Blog Post, Gun Violence

Molly Ellrodt
809
2/25/13

N.R.A. Call to Guard Schools Is Criticized as Too Simplistic: NY TIMES


            This article is all about how the N.R.A is proposing to place armed guards at many schools throughout the country. This proposal was looked down upon by many, many people. Many officials and/or teachers at these schools are disappointed by this and angered. One worker at a school, Mr. David Fleishman, said that, "To have an armed guard at every school completely sends the wrong message in so many ways about what school is about." Fleishman is not the only one who thinks this. There are lots of other upset community members, apalled that their child's school will possibly armed. Very few people think that to keep a community safe, guns are needed and in many cases, guns have stirred up more trouble when used in defense, than usual. "...even trained New York City public officers shot and injured nine bystanders in August in their pursuit of a gunman outside the Empire State Building.” Armed security guards aren’t always affective and may hurt innocent everyday people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
           

            Mainly, this article is persuading the reader to question the idea of having armed guards in schools all across the country. Almost every quote used in this article supports the opinion that possibly having armed guards placed in schools is unnecessary and may be a threat to the children’s safety.  The author also uses expert testimony to support the opinion that guns in a school are not a good idea. Using expert testimony will encourage the reader to take into consideration what that expert had to say and how it could relate to their own situation at hand. “Unrealistic and probably unwise,” is how expert Craig Steckler described the N.R.A’s proposal.

            Reading this article has made me think a lot more about how serious this topic is. I never understood that there was so much controversy on this proposal and now I do. Now I know why such a proposal would bring up such disagreement. Reading this article I have also made and opinion about this proposal. I, as do many other people, think that armed security guards are not needed and that it could result in dangerous scenarios if followed through with. This is a very serious topic, having a couple school shootings occurring recently, that everyone should be aware of. I would like to know, in the future, what will happen with this proposal and why those decisions will be made. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly! great post! I agree with the article; when you have armed guards at your school, it seems like there is an immediate threat towards your school. The fact that there are people with guns in you neighborhood, and around your children would also arouse a sense of unease. I do not think that the problems of school shooting can be solved with more guns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somewhat agree with what the article and Emma are saying, it's sort of bad for any guns no matter who's carrying them to be anywhere near a school. But if the unlikely occasion happens that there is a real threat with a gun or weapon in or near your school, you would want to know that there is someone who can protect the school and has the proper protection to do so.

    ReplyDelete