Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A book written in verse...

Molly Ellrodt
809
ELA/ Ms.Robbins


            I am currently reading the book Home of the Brave, by Katherine Applegate. This book is written in verse meaning it is written like a poem. In the past I have read many books that are written in verse and I haven't take the time to figure out why these books are written in this specific form. Many times I really don't know why the book is written in verse because reading it, it sounds like a normal book just separated into short lines. In this book I have made an inference as to why it is written in verse. I think it makes the language sound much more poetic than if it wasn't written in verse and gives you a chance to look at many things from a different point of view.

            In many books written in verse, it's hard to figure out why they are written that way. In this particular book, Home of the Brave, the writing really does sound and read like a poem. It sounds very artistic. One reason I think this book is written in verse is so that the author can increase the use of metaphors in a way that flows and sounds fluent. In this book, there are a lot of metaphors and there is a lot of imagery. In books that are not written in verse, it might sound, or even look, a little odd if there were so many metaphors because it sounds like a poem but it doesn't look like one. However, in a book that is written in verse, I think that a large amount of imagery and metaphors work with the book. It makes the metaphors seem more natural if the book is written in verse. One reason I think the author was so interested in using metaphors is because it leaves more room for interpretation. Many metaphors that I read, I don't know exactly what they are talking about. But, I think that can be a good thing because you can kind of make the book your own but still follow the structured plot of the story.

            In the beginning of this book, about a young man (Kek) entering a new country, Kek is noticing many new things that are unfamiliar to him because he has never lived in America before. As someone who does live in America, I am familiar with the things that he isn't. Because the author knew that Americans would be reading her book, she used metaphors so it wouldn't be boring to the reader, reading about things they already have seen or become familiar with. The metaphors the author uses, help the reader look at the things they are familiar with in a different way; perhaps the way Kek sees it coming from a different part of the world.

            Overall, the author, in my perspective, made a very intelligent choice as to write this book in verse. I think it's relaxing to read, comforting, and interesting all at the same time. Because I have just started this book, my idea as to why verse is used might change, but for now, this is my understanding. I am excited to continue on this journey with Kek and see what it might be like entering a part of the world that is so different than the one you know. It will be an interesting ride.
     

2 comments:

  1. Eye opening post Molly! I think it's very true what you said about the effect of the use of verse, it puts something familiar in a whole different perspective. And it sounds like the mix of the verse and the fact that Kek is from a foreign country makes the reader look at America in two entire different lights, through the light of poetry and of a foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was great mollymolls. i loved it so much. so proud of u

    ReplyDelete