Molly Ellrodt
809
ElA
Reading Response (must be done before Thanksgiving)
In the book "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer, Bella is loved by two boys; Edward Cullen and Jacob Black. They both fight for her love throughout a majority of the books until Bella chooses between them. In all of the books, Bella has two guys who fawn over her day and night. She is a very lucky girl. Perhaps too lucky. I think that the way Bella is treated by these boys is something she doesn't necessarily deserve. I believe that she is loved too much and that doesn't give much in return to Jacob or Edward. (Granted I haven't read all the books, so I don't know everything). I think that because Jacob and Edward love her so much, they forgive her for everything, even things that shouldn't necessarily be forgiven.
From what I have read (or seen in a movie), it seems that Bella isn't treating Edward or Jacob respectfully. She is constantly giving them mixed signals. She falls in love with Edward, then spends a year or so becoming best friends (or more) with Jacob, and then Edward comes back again and she still loves him. When she spends so much time with Jacob, it makes the reader think they they are falling for each other. But then Bella wants Edward back when he comes back after leaving for a while. As a reader, I have become very confused. Now, in the third book, when Edward comes back and Bella and him get back together, she kisses Jacob! Meanwhile, she still wants to turn into a vampire and marry Edward! It's like she's picking and choosing who she wants to be with while these boys are waiting for her to make up her mind! Personally, I don't think she deserves the love and affection she receives from both of them.
I think that as a result of both of the boys liking her so much, they tend to forgive her for everything. She breaks Jacob's heart by rejecting him,yet he still forgives her. She kisses Jacob, a guy Edward isn't so fond of in the first place, while she is dating Edward, yet he forgives her and claims he just wants her to be happy. She is practically getting everything she wants. I don't think she deserves the privilege of having two boys like her so much and getting to decide which one she wants! She has hurt both of them, but they still treat her like royalty. I don't think this makes Bella a good person. She isn't going to be so lucky and have a choice all the time. She needs to learn how to make decisions before she loses both of them. Maybe she would get more out of a relationship if it wasn't all about her. Relationships are about both people, not just one or the other.
All in all, I think that in the grand scheme of things, Bella has a really nice life. She is treated very nicely but I don't think she realizes it. She needs to look at her life from a different perspective and realize that she has everything she need. She also needs to realize that she should be treating the people that love her with much more respect and loyalty. I think that Bella will become a much better person as the book goes on but right now she has a lot of growing to do.
MOLLY THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I've read all the books and seen most of the movies, and have always agreed with you. I think that Bella can definitely be selfish, careless, and she's not really thinking about how she treats other people. For example, in the first book, her father makes so many attempts to be close, and all she does is rudely shove him away. Also, as you said she toys with Edward and Jacob, hurting them and then coming back to them again and again and expecting them to be there for her. I think she needs to see that her expecting them to both wait for her is wrong and she needs to pick one of them , and make her choice very clear, and let the other one go. Great post <3 !!!!!
ReplyDeletehi molly. i really like your post. its funny because just the other day, i saw esclipse on tv. i never really realized what you are saying about how selfish bella is. you are absolutely right. she needs a day without all the affection she's getting. bye mollymolls
ReplyDeleteThis post probably sums up all my feelings about Bella. She has two boys in love with her, and she just acts like it's something that's so agonizing for her. She acts like it's so exhausting having two guys doing everything she wants and forgiving her for every one of her faults. Bella needs to learn that people aren't going to always forgive her every mistake. It's like she's gotten so used to being forgiven and not having to worry about how she affects people that she just does whatever she wants.
ReplyDeleteIm glad everyone agrees with me!!! Haha! (especially maddy! :p)
ReplyDelete