Molly Ellrodt
809
Reading Response
Everybody has some right to self determination no matter their abilities or disabilities. Even my friends and I as teenagers need to be able to determine the path we will take. In the book the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime by Mark Haddon, in my opinion, the main character, Christopher, is negatively influenced by his father. Though he, as an individual, might have some set backs, he should be aloud to decide, somewhat, what he wants to do in his life. I think that his dad shouldn't be holding him back from anything.
Christopher, in the beginning of the book, was blamed for the killing of a neighbor's dog (Wellington). He knows he didn't commit that crime, but he is determined to make the minds of the Police Officer's to change and believe that he didn't kill Wellington. Christopher told his father that he wanted to find out who killed Wellington but his father said no. Even though Christopher does have autism, his dad shouldn't hold him back from anything. Though Christopher shouldn't be completely set free and his dad should guide him through these processes, he shouldn't be put down like that. For Christopher to move forward in life, his dad should have confidence in him. To grow as people in this world, everyone must make mistakes and take risks but Christopher will never be able to do that if his father holds him back.
On the other hand, in a parent's point of view, I can understand that Christopher's father wants to keep Christopher as safe as he possibly can. No parent ever wants to let their kids go even if they don't have a disability. I think that every person my age that I know can agree with me in saying that our parents can be very protective sometimes no matter the circumstance. If i was a parent I can definitely see myself being over protective but as a teenager (-ish), I definitely see why my parents being very protective can be somewhat annoying.
Overall, all kids need some sort of freedom in their lives. We need to be able to fulfill our dreams and we should be able to do what we want, with some guidance by the people who have lived through similar times. By the end of the book I wish to see the dad of christopher be a little more easy going. I want the father to let Christopher be himself and do the things that he really has a desire to do. I'm hopeful that by the end of the book Christopher will find out who killed Wellington and I hope that his father realizes that finding this out will make Christopher feel good and happy inside. I do believe Christopher's father has hope in his son.
I loved your post, but I have to disagree with you when you said Christopher's dad was a negative influence. His dad is just trying to protect him from harm. Christopher's dad wants to keep him out of danger, and an investigation of a crime just doesn't seem like a safe place where a father would want his son.
ReplyDelete